How has social media changed the way we operate? With its growing influence, social media has taken the world by storm and has provided society with a grand hub of information sharing and socialization. However, how has this reach also changed the ways in which we go about our lives regarding work? In this episode, we will be taking on the topic of social media’s relationship in and with the workplace. Join us as we go through the start of this relationship, the difference between social media’s use in the workplace versus its collaboration with the workplace, how its evolved, the blending of personal and work life, how it changed the ways some companies operate, and possible methods someone may find themselves using when managing this ever-changing environment.
- History and concept of social media and its use in the workplace
- The concept of social media working with the workplace
- How does this relate to you?
- Worries and advantages of social media in and with the workplace
- How social media and the workplace has evolved in other countries
- Work and personal life blending with each other
- How social media has changed the way companies operate
- Social media’s effect on the hiring process
- Possible ways to find a healthy balance between the two
Working as a Content Creator for the OLC, Brianna Tsang is a student that loves to learn and create anything and everything. As a fifth year Communication major and Publishing minor, she is no stranger to questioning topics of the everyday and looking into how media can influence the way in which we go about life.
Beyond the Podcast
Government of Canada: Privacy and social media in the workplace
Podington Bear - Cracked Nut Suite
Podington Bear - Marie Josie
Podington Bear - Love Song #1
Podington Bear - Steppin' in
Alena Smirnova - Comedy Music
Bio Unit- Iota
Patrick Davies - Troposphere
Peter Gresser - Skipping Through the Orchestra Pit
Sound Effects Used:
yfjesse - Notification Sound
Duisterwho - Hello - friendly greeting vocal
_bliind - Inspiration2
Saya13 - Ding! idea
theplax - Pop 2
Breviceps - Phone vibration
Nightwatcher98 - Office ambience
stu556 - Mechanical Keyboard Typing (treble version)
StrikeWhistler - Single clicks Keyboard Sound
MATRIXXX_ - iPhone Texting, Remastered
- Utterly Disgraceful: Social Media and the Workplace by Barnes A., Balnave N., & Holland P.
- A Manager's Guide to Free Speech and Social Media in the Public Workplace: An Analysis of the Lower Courts' Recent Application of Pickering by Brewer A. M.
- When I chat online, I feel relaxed and work better: Exploring the use of social media in the public sector workplace in Rwanda by Nduhura D., & Prieler M.
- This is not what I wanted: The effect of avoidance coping strategy on non-work-related social media use at the workplace by Ng J. C. Y., Shao I. Y. T., & Liu Y.
- Social Networking Sites and Hiring: How Social Media Profiles Influence Hiring Decisions by Sameen S., & Cornelius S.
- The Culture of Connectivity by Van Dijck J.
- Hybrid Social Media Use and Guanxi Types: How Do Employees Use Social Media in the Chinese Workplace? by Zheng B., & Davison R. M,